Monday, September 21, 2009

We Are PATRIOTS, Sir Yes Sir!


Last week was a busy one for the Ringger family - it was Nathan's drill weekend but every September, they have what is called Governor's Day. In lieu of September drill, the Governor of Utah inspects the troops so they all march out onto the field in Rice Eccles Stadium at the U of U (booooo!) and they parade in formation and the Governor inspects them (you have to understand that this is just a ceremony - he doesn't really look that close-I actually thought it was quite funny watching him walk up and down the length of the field.). The entire thing takes about an hour but every year, soldiers pass out because it is quite hot on the field. We saw two carried off on stretchers.

My dad and my nephew, Tyler and came with us. When Tyler returned home, his parents asked him how it went and he said - "Good. Some guys died though." Oh dear, I hope he's not scarred for life. If he begins saying, "I see dead people", then we know there may be some lasting effects of Governors Day.

I love my dad! He loves anything to do with the military. Every once a while I remind my kids that grandpa served in the military too - just like dad. But to put it into perspective, I have to tell them that he served a long time ago - before they had home computers and cell phones. They immediately are sent into silent reflection and awe for the people who lived in such a time they like to refer to as the "dark ages".

From the moment we got there, Audrey's eye immediately staked out the most girly thing happening and her eye was drawn to the face painting booth - so from that moment on, I was constantly nagged with "When can I get my face painted? Is it time to get my face painted? What if they leave and I can't get my face painted! Does dad care if I get my face painted?" Over and over again I heard this so finally, after only holding out for about 5 minutes (I know, I'm going soft already), I relented and let her do it and she behaved perfectly afterwards. This is a photo of her before the face painting - do you see why I just give in?

Jackson and Tyler are always so cute when they are together.

Ahh, a family moment - one for the Christmas card that we NEVER send out.

Okay, so the evening before Governors day, they always have a military ball. I actually like getting dressed up and going out. Our cute neighbor, Angela, came and took these photos for us before we left. I know, what are we 16 or something? Who are we kidding, we know we are hanging on to the proverbial "Thread" but I have to document that once-upon-a-time, we did look youngish.
P.S. I know your wondering and yes, I did make my dress.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

John knew he was old this week when he was at a meeting and the person conducting said, "Oh they've got a young man doing it now." And John got excited, that he was still passing for a young man. He said he's heard that a lot over the years and it hasn't meant anything. But since it got him excited...well, that means he's old :)

VillageGreen Unit For Sale said...

love the dress...and you do like 16 again but that is a good thing when you are old...jokes, your not old, your just getting wiser hee hee

Heather O'Brien said...

I love reading your blog! You are so gorgeous. Love the dress. So proud of Nathan and all that he does. And Audrey is hillarious. I love her.

SandyKay said...

Yes Sir Yes! Very proud! Great post and pictures. I didn't have to wonder if you made your dress. I knew you had because it was so beautiful. You are truly amazing. Loved the pre-facepainted face. A girl knows what a girl wants. I'm just thinking she's going to be the first female President of the USA. Let's start coaching her now.

Unknown said...

Dear cousin, I hope you know that the day I get engaged I will be calling you to make me a custom wedding dress! Don't worry, I already have the sketches done. And, I'm not kidding! Love your blog! So fun to keep up with your awesome family!

Natalie said...

Tamm, oh how I love your blogs. You and Nathan look stunning. For some reason I am getting very emotional as I am typing this. I actually know some people who have sacrificed for our freedom--Nathan and you and the kids. Besides that... you are a fabulous fashion designer. Never have I seen such talent. Can't wait for Fashion Remix starring Tammi Ringger's creation. We will be forever indebted to you. We had an idea and you took it and created a masterpiece!
Love you,
Aunt Robin