Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 5 and we're all still alive

So obviously I didn't write at all since my last post because it has been a whirl wind of excitement and chaos since we began selling 1/3rd of all our earthly belongings, scheduling packers and movers and renting out our home in Draper. Finding renters was the easy part, the fixing it up for them was the difficult part. It involved landscapers, painters, door installers and many many trips to Home Depot (as many as 5 in one day and I am not exaggerating- really, I wish I were). It's funny what you'll put up with until you see it through the eyes of someone else and then you're like "No way will they live with this! I better get it fixed!". I have a property manager that is on top of everything so I am very confident that this will be a good thing for us (I hope).

Since moving into the Oakwood Crystal City, I have registered the kids in Oakridge Elementary (seems like an amazing school), found the nearest library, visited my local Target and Costco several times (the mother ships) and taken the kids to the park to play on the playground and throw the football with Jackson. Oh and I can't forget the ward Trunk or Treat last night. It was fun for the kids to see where we will be attending church and meet a few kids. I met a nice lady named Katie who kind of gave me the real skinny on the ward dynamics so it was nice to get a better sense of how things are in the ward.

All in all I love discovering all the new things in this new place I am living. I can't get over the fact that everyone dresses in dark colors and very serious business attire (I'm talking about the ladies here) and most women don't wear makeup. I get it, it's not for everyone but coming from Utah where a trip to the grocery store is a full on fashion show, I'm just a little surprised. Yesterday I walked over to the Pentagon City mall and with my bright Blondie hair and my bright orange stroller - I stuck out like a sore thumb (I'm sure many were laughing their butts off just watching me).

So here I sit in my little two bedroom apartment and I am waiting for maintenance to come and check out this crazy disgusting smell that is coming from underneath my children's bathroom sink. It is so funky, it smells like a rotting fish is stuck behind the drywall. Ewe gross is all I can say about that. This weekend I will post some pictures and some more about what has been happening but I can't right now as our Internet is highly unstable and totally sluggish! UGG!


3 comments:

Nicole said...

What a fun post Tammy. I'm glad that you're brining some color to the DC area! Don't change - everybody needs a splash of color :)

Mike and Kadie Briggs said...

I know all about sticking out like a sore thumb... I get looks when I go to one of the local grocery stores here because I am wearing jeans, a nice shirt, and make-up. I mean, dress code for a lot here is pajama's and sweats! Don't change!

Tracy Christopulos Harward said...

Well, I hope you don't think I'm stalking you but I found your blog myself. I figured you must be busy and I hope you don't mind! We miss you so much! We trick or treated at your house last night and the kids were a little confused, and for me I just about burst out bawling. (I kept it together for the kids, don't you worry :-))! Sounds like you're doing great...it is funny how in Utah it is such! a fashion show. I just don't get it. Oh well. Keep the posts coming and again, hope you don't mind I found you....